BYHA promotes the development and enjoyment of youth hockey in the Town of Belmont, creating and maintaining a standard of goodwill, sportsmanship and fellowship among it's youth.
 
 
My my My my
 
 
 
 
 
 
 Belmont Youth Hockey
Meeting Minutes
November 11, 2008
I.      Call to order
Doug McLaughlin called to order the regular meeting of the Belmont Youth Hockey Association (BYHA) at 7:10pm on November 11, 2008 in the Avery, Dooley, Post & Avery conference room. 
II.      Roll call
The following persons were present: Doug McLaughlin, Kim Rocha, John Curran, Janet Liddell, Joe Noone, Steve Nally, Jim Finn, Mark Shapiro and Brian Quirk.  Absent from the meeting were: Larry Christofori, Jeff Brody, Jim Brown and Jim Wooster.
III.      Approval of minutes from last meetings
The minutes from October 7, 2008 were accepted.
IV.      Position Reports
Treasurer
Income for October 7, 2008 through November 11, 2008 is $86,357 consisting of registration fees and team dues. Expenses for the period totaled $27,653 consisting mainly of league dues and tournament expenses. John C. and Jim W. met to reconcile accounts receivables. They wrote off $2000 in past uncollected tuition. Interest in full year Midget team again this year. Will assess fees/dues in advance of season extension.
Tabled: formalized goalie recruitment/retention and tuition policy; bereavement policy; dues payment, notices and consequences policy.  
Registrar
Kim R. reports all team rosters (except Mites) approved. New Mite joined program this week. USA Hockey requesting proof of citizenship for Canadian player in program. 
Board discussed timing of tryouts – season for PWA/B and above begins in September, therefore spring tryouts make sense. Season for Squirts and below begins mid-October, therefore, September tryouts with pre-season skills and checking clinics before tryouts make sense.
Coaches
At next coaches’ meeting, Steve N. will discuss age appropriate learning on ice. Intention is to develop a BYHA handbook or perfect curriculum covering fundamentals and skills to be taught at each level. Coaches certifications going well. Steve reported that he’s very pleased with the high quality of the coaching staff. 
GBL
Parity issues discussed at GBL meeting. Four BYHA teams will shift within their divisions. Bantam A requested to move from North to South division. PWA has moved down, Squirt B and Mite B teams will move up divisions.
Girls
Joe N. reports each team in girls’ league is appropriately placed. 
Ice/Skills
Abundance of ice in November, however, high school teams start up in December. Skills sessions began this Sunday. Skills to be conducted by Team Training and two professionally instructed coaches. Program needs to address goalie/goal tender skill work.
Photos/Clothing
Tricon Sports clothing sale conducted at Belmont Rink during Icebreaker and Sportography photo shoot. Clothing Sales volume and photo orders about the same as last year. List of team sponsors needed by Sportography for photo processing of plaques.
Public Relations
Mark S. reports he will send out weekly reminders to encourage teams to submit weekly roundup news items for local newspaper. BYHA hockey night at Holy Cross, Worcester on November 22, 2008, discounted tickets.
Equipment
Several coaches’ uniforms will be delivered soon. Brian Q. will order multiple sets of tryout and practice pinnies. Awaiting team sponsor list to submit to Tricon for printing of practice jerseys.  
Outreach/New Membership
No report
Fundraiser/Social
Jim F. reported the Icebreaker was a success. Lots of used hockey equipment donated and family/free skate was well attended and could have been extended. Next up: Big Chill fundraiser at the Belmont Country Club on February 6, 2009.
Tournaments
Larry C. reported that some coaches wanted Garden City tournament, only a few teams got in. Will solicit feedback from coaches at coaches’ meeting regarding tournaments they’re interested in.    
V.      Other Business:
1.                  Recreation Department holding a skating benefit for the Belmont Food Pantry on Friday, November 14, 2008. BYHA will donate $250 in support of this event. 
                2.            Will notify coaches of ice availability on early release days Belmont elementary 
                               and middle schools during month of November.
VI.      Next Meeting: 
            Big Chill planning meeting at Tricia Reggio’s, Tuesday, November 17, 2008
 
*Regular meeting of the Board December 8, 2008 at 7:00pm in the Staff Room of the Belmont Public Library.   
VII.      Adjournment
Doug McLaughlin adjourned the meeting at 8:31pm.
Minutes submitted by: Janet Liddell