BYHA promotes the development and enjoyment of youth hockey in the Town of Belmont, creating and maintaining a standard of goodwill, sportsmanship and fellowship among it's youth.
 
 
My my My my
 
 
 
 
 
 
Belmont Youth Hockey
Meeting Minutes
September 8, 2008
I.      Call to order
Doug McLaughlin called to order the regular meeting of the Belmont Youth Hockey Association (BYHA) at 7:08pm on September 8, 2008 in the Staff Room of the Belmont Public Library.
II.      Roll call
The following persons were present: Doug McLaughlin, Kim Rocha, Larry Christofori, John Curran, Janet Liddell, Joe Noone, Jim Brown, Steve Nally, Jim Finn, Brian Quirk and Jeff Brody.  Absent from the meeting were: Mark Shapiro and Jim Wooster.
III.      Approval of minutes from last meetings
The minutes from August 4, 2008 were accepted with corrections.
IV.      Position Reports
Treasurer
Doug M. and John C. working on getting money owed program from last year. Historically, discussions of sensitive financial matters kept between President and Treasurer. After some discussion, the following policy change was accepted: All financial matters are open to all board members at any time. Board discussed using online invitation and Paypal payment methods for end-of-year banquet.
Registrar
Kim R. reports 231 kids currently registered with the program. USA Hockey registrations in progress. Will email coaches for Midgets, U19, Bantam and PeeWees to register. Working on the deadlines imposed by our District 9 registrar for official roster approvals at each team level. Coaches have to be on official rosters as well.    
Coaches
Coaching position at Bantam B level filled by Lou Ferraro. Doug M. will send email to update parents. Coach for Squirt B not yet identified. First coaches’ meeting to be scheduled last week or two of September.
GBL
Larry C. reports coaches are responsible for rescheduling games by using league website. League requesting BYHA coaches’ contact information.
Girls
Girls season will start mid-October with tryouts scheduled for this month.
Ice/Skills
Doug M. reports a bunch of BU ice opened up for us this fall, essentially getting rid of the 9PM practice ice for now.
A Bantam level goalie joined the program in September. Coaches will assess the skill levels of the two Bantam goalies in a “tryout” over the next several practices to determine appropriate team placement.
Rink to open 1st week of November. Will hold Ice Breaker 1st weekend and conduct photo shoot during practices that week. GBL will not conduct games on Saturdays this season, freeing up six hours of ice time for BYHA, 7am – 9:30am and 12:45pm – 3:15pm.
Photos/Clothing
Tricon Sports will show clothing line at Ice Breaker and during the team photo sessions. Will again request off-ice photo shoot with Sportography. 
Public Relations
No report
Equipment
Team practice jerseys are in. Need identification of team sponsors for printing and distribution. Brian Q. reports people in program inquiring about donating expensive equipment. Will respond with a thank you donation letter that can be used by donors for tax purposes. 
Outreach/New Membership
Jeff B. distributed informational flyer in backpacks, first day of school. Great new player turnout at tryouts this year. John C. asked board to consider outreach support to family that expressed financial difficulty paying dues. Board agreed that it would hold a special auction at the Big Chill specifically for this purpose in order to defray part of the cost for the family. 
Fundraiser/Social
Jim F. reports letters soliciting team sponsorship mailed to prospective donors last week. Will email list of contacts to Larry C. and John C. to help follow up with phone call solicitation. Macy’s shopping fundraiser tickets are being sold at Conley’s with $210 made in profits so far.  Will start organizing for Big Chill fundraiser.
Tournaments
Larry C. suggests coaches select team tournaments at coaches’ meeting this month.  
V.      New business
 
Dual Roster Player proposal was not accepted.
VI.      Next Meeting: 
*Regular meeting of the Board October 6, 2008 at 7:00pm in the Staff Room at the Belmont Public Library.
VII.      Adjournment
Doug McLaughlin adjourned the meeting at 9:22pm.
Minutes submitted by: Janet Liddell