BYHA promotes the development and enjoyment of youth hockey in the Town of Belmont, creating and maintaining a standard of goodwill, sportsmanship and fellowship among it's youth.
 
 
My my My my
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Belmont Youth Hockey
Meeting Minutes
August 4, 2008
I.      Call to order
Doug McLaughlin called to order the regular meeting of the Belmont Youth Hockey Association (BYHA) at 7:07pm on August 4, 2008 in the Flett Room of the Belmont Public Library.
II.      Roll call
The following persons were present: Doug McLaughlin, Kim Rocha, Larry Christofori, Janet Liddell, Joe Noone, Jim Brown, Mark Shapiro, John Curran, and Jeff Brody.  Absent from the meeting were: Brian Quirk, Jim Wooster, Steve Nally, and Jim Finn.
III.      Approval of minutes from last meetings
The minutes from June 2, June 19, and July 7, 2008 were accepted.
IV.      Position Reports
Treasurer
BYHA currently has $73,000 in Restricted Funds (CD’s). Checking Account stands at $21,000 and Savings Account is $10,000. Accounts Receivable (consists mostly of unpaid tournament and tuition fees by members) stands at $19,500 with $8000 expected from league ice reimbursement. Several families and/or individuals remiss in paying yearly hockey tuition. Board discussed this issue at length. Tournament invoices for 2007/2008 sent out - expect $7000 in return. Checking account will be drawn down to cover scholarships awarded at end of year. 
Jim Wooster and John C. are evaluating the annual costs of the season and will determine tuition rates per skater for this coming season. Full time goalies will be offered discounted tuition.
Registrar
USA Hockey registrations under way.    
Coaches
Steve N. working to fill coaching vacancies at the Bantam level.
GBL
Need to get coaches’ contact and qualifications information to GBL at the start of the season. Two teams per level submitted to the GBL – Midget, Bantam, PeeWee, Squirt, and Mite. Will potentially submit a third Mite team. Jim B. is entering the U16 team in the Valley League. Discussed replacing team designations A, B and C with team colors instead.
Girls
Middlesex Yankee Conference League meeting scheduled for mid- to late August. Will submit 2 – U14, 1 – U12 and 2 – U10 teams. Hope to recruit for one more U12 team. Girls tryouts typically late September/early October. Practices to start 3rd week September. Games begin just after Columbus Day.
Ice/Skills
Rink will open a few weeks later (closer to Thanksgiving) this year in town’s attempt to save money on fuel costs.
Working with Rec. Department and GBL to increase games on Saturday morning from two to three. Girls will have three games of Sunday and the ice from 7am – 10:30. Coach Kelleher’s rec. hockey program will be Sunday 10:30am – 12:00pm.
Photos/Clothing
Tricon Sports will show clothing line at Ice Breaker and during the team photo sessions. May have a local photographer taking the photos this year. 
Public Relations
Mark S. will work with team coordinators to submit game highlights and stats to newspaper. John C. suggests finding interested parents to submit articles about games to newspaper. Doug M. would like weekly hockey scoreboard and upcoming home game schedule to be posted in sports section.
Equipment
Team practice jerseys due in two weeks.
Outreach/New Membership
Jeff B. making adjustments to recruitment/information flyer, will add FAQ information on back. Received approval to distribute informational flyer in backpacks, first day of school. Jeff questioned the BYHA policy regarding team placement for kids who join program later than start date. Doug M. will investigate past practices and see what has worked/not worked in the past.
Fundraiser/Social
Macy’s contacted organization to promote a store-wide sales event in late September. BYHA would sell 100 tickets at $5 each and keep 100% of the ticket sales.
Procuring team sponsorships at $500 per team. Company logo will be printed on team practice jerseys.  
Tournaments
Larry C. will identify tournaments and provide coaches with the information.
V.      New business
 
1.            Select Player proposal was not approved.
2.            Four Members’ Meetings tentatively scheduled for October 2, 2008;
January 8, 2009; March 26, 2009; and Annual Meeting June 11, 2009.
VI.      Next Meeting: 
*Regular meeting of the Board September 8, 2008 at 7:00pm in the Staff Room at the Belmont Public Library.
VII.      Adjournment
Doug McLaughlin adjourned the meeting at 8:44pm.
Minutes submitted by: Janet Liddell