BYHA promotes the development and enjoyment of youth hockey in the Town of Belmont, creating and maintaining a standard of goodwill, sportsmanship and fellowship among it's youth.
 
 
My my My my
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Belmont Youth Hockey
Meeting Minutes
July 7, 2008
I.      Call to order
Doug McLaughlin called to order the regular meeting of the Belmont Youth Hockey Association (BYHA) at 7:10pm on July 7, 2008 in the Flett Room of the Belmont Public Library.
II.      Roll call
The following persons were present: Doug McLaughlin, Kim Rocha, Steve Nally, Janet Liddell, Larry Christofori, Mark Shapiro, Jim Finn, and Jeff Brody.  Absent from the meeting were: John Curran, Brian Quirk, Joe Noone, Jim Brown and Jim Wooster.
III.      Approval of minutes from last meeting
The minutes from June 2, 2008 will be circulated via email for review and comment.
IV.      Position Reports
Treasurer
Jim Wooster and John C. are evaluating the annual costs of the season and will determine tuition rates per skater for this coming season.
Registrar
Kim R. is receiving player USA Hockey registrations via email. Will meet with John Myers this week for orientation to software program.  
Coaches
Steve N. wants to ensure all coaches are level certified and registered with USA Hockey at the start of the season. He will email coaches next week regarding requirements and dates/locations of trainings.
Conducting search for coaches at Squirt A, PW A and possibly PW B levels.
Organizing 4 dry land skills sessions this fall with D. Muzzioli and high school hockey players. Doug M. will talk to M. Haley to organize the same stick handling sessions for girls.
GBL
Two Midgets teams to continue playing in the GBL. Jim B. is entering the U16 team in the Valley League.
Girls
Middlesex Yankee Conference League meeting scheduled for mid- to late August.
Ice/Skills
Belmont Rec. Department offering BYHA 2 hours of ice on Sundays from 4 – 6pm. Doug M. proposing team skills sessions conducted at this time in efforts to eliminate the 9pm practice ice time.
Larry C. has asked GBL if they’re interested in purchasing two hours of Saturday afternoon ice time. 
Photos/Clothing
May have a local photographer taking the photos this year. Photos taken off ice have worked well in the past. Clothing Sale to be conducted during the Ice Breaker event.
Public Relations
Mark S. and Jeff B. will create informational flier for distribution in kids’ backpacks for the first day of school. Jeff B. will find out the process to get the fliers distributed at the elementary and middle schools. Suggestion made to run a “banner” on the soccer website regarding BYHA tryouts.
Outreach/New Membership
Jeff B. suggested each team designate a parent to submit articles for the local paper. Doug M. suggested the game results be entered into the paper      each week. Team information, BYHA website and upcoming home games would be gathered on Sunday and submitted to paper by Monday deadline.
Fundraiser/Social
Ice Breaker to be scheduled for the first weekend the rink is open (early November). Big Chill to be scheduled for late January.
Discussed enhancing the events for kids and families. The BC Hockey team visit and clinic organized by Coach Kelleher was a huge success. Will look into BYHA teams skating in between periods at high school hockey games.
Team sponsorships $500 per team to have company logo printed on team practice jerseys.  
Tournaments
Interest in Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday tournaments expressed. Suggestions included seeing if Coach Kelleher would be interested in expanding the Kelleher Christmas tournament to include squirts. Waltham and Watertown tournaments favored as well. Larry C. will identify tournaments and provide coaches with the information.
V.      New business
 
1.            Select Player proposal – Larry C. submitted the BYHA Alternate Player Proposal and outlined it for the board. Will give new board members a chance to review the specifics and discuss at the August meeting.
2.            Watertown – After initial discussions to go forward with combining the Watertown and Belmont Mite teams with approval by Mass Hockey, too many concerns were expressed at a member/coaches meeting in Watertown and they have decided they will not participate in a merger this year.
VI.      Next Meeting: 
*Regular meeting of the Board August 4, 2008 at 7:00pm in the Flett Room at the Belmont Public Library.
VII.      Adjournment
Doug McLaughlin adjourned the meeting at 8:52pm.
Minutes submitted by: Janet Liddell