BYHA promotes the development and enjoyment of youth hockey in the Town of Belmont, creating and maintaining a standard of goodwill, sportsmanship and fellowship among it's youth.
 
 
My my My my
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Belmont Youth Hockey
Meeting Minutes
June 2, 2008
I.      Call to order
Jim Wooster called to order the regular meeting of the Belmont Youth Hockey Association (BYHA) at 7:07pm on June 2, 2008 in the Flett Room of the Belmont Public Library.
II.      Roll call
The following persons were present: Jim Wooster, Curtis Cole, Janet Liddell, John Curran, Steve Nally, Doug McLaughlin, John Myers, Larry Christofori,
Brian Quirk, and Mark Shapiro.  Absent from the meeting were: Andy Papathanasiou, Lisa Pargoli and Kerry O’Donovan.
III.      Approval of minutes from last meeting
The minutes from May 5, 2008 were approved.
IV.      Position Reports
Treasurer
John C. reports BYHA to finish the year in the black by about $6000 over operating expenses. Biggest program expenditures – ice and league dues. Program anticipating significant increases in ice costs for next year. Jim W. and John C. will meet before the annual meeting this month to evaluate program costs and tuition rates for next season.
GBL
Twelve teams along with divisions submitted to League for next season. Midgets (2), Bantams (2), P.W. (2), Squirts (3), and Mites (3).
Ice/Skills
Doug M. working to increase the number of primary rinks available to the program. Board reaffirmed its goal to increase the number of practices and skills sessions per team per week. At the same time, board discussed retention and ways to strengthen the skill development experience for goalies. Discussion led to increased costs to program and revenue sources. Increasing the number of team sponsors was suggested. Larry C. and Mark S. will look into sponsor opportunities for 2008/2009.
Equipment
Steve N. made suggestion that BYHA work with Tricon, Champions or other sporting good retailer to purchase hockey sticks in bulk. Brian Q. will look into purchasing options.     
Public Relations
Mark S. will prepare and distribute program flier to schools for kids’ backpacks.
John C. recommended that each team appoint an interested parent to work with either the coach or team manager to submit articles, statistics or photos of interest to the local newspaper to help promote hockey in the community. 
V.      New business
 
1.            Nominating Committee - slate of nominees for new board positions presented to board, voted and unanimously accepted as follows: Registrar – Kim Rocha; GBL Rep – Jim Brown; Girls Program – Joe Noone; Outreach/New Membership – Jeff Brody. Slate will be presented to membership at annual meeting for vote. The board also voted and unanimously accepted a motion to appoint Jim Finn to a two year term as Fundraiser/Social Director, replacing Lisa Pargoli who is resigning from the board effective June 30, 2008. 
2.            Scholarships: Three applicants awarded – Tara Reynolds, Courtney Carey and Devin Caracino.
3.            Select Player Proposal – overall, board is in general approval of proposal submitted by John M. Details regarding eligibility, practice and game requirements, tuition, team and program value discussed. Discussion tabled. Larry C. will write up proposal for the Select/Alternate player position.
4.            Board members from Watertown Youth Hockey (WYH) reaffirmed interest in merging with Belmont program in a meeting held on May 27, 2008.  The WYH program fields one team at each level. WYH and BYHA agreed that a larger program would enhance the experience for all skaters at each level. BYHA and WYH agreed to investigate the possibility of merging Mite teams in the fall, 2008, pooling resources (i.e., coaches, ice). Doug M. and Steve N. will lead trial merger and discussions with Mass. Hockey. Administratively, the trial program should probably be kept under the BYHA umbrella for this year, and BYHA will work more closely on developing the WYH in-house learn to skate program.
VI.      Next Meeting: 
*Members Meeting Thursday, June 19, 2008 at 7:00pm in the Assembly Room at the Belmont Public Library.
VII.      Adjournment
Jim Wooster adjourned the meeting at 9:02pm.
Minutes submitted by: Janet Liddell