BYHA promotes the development and enjoyment of youth hockey in the Town of Belmont, creating and maintaining a standard of goodwill, sportsmanship and fellowship among it's youth.
 
 
My my My my
 
 
 
 
 
 
Belmont Youth Hockey
Meeting Minutes
February 4, 2008
I.      Call to order
Jim Wooster called to order the regular meeting of the Belmont Youth Hockey Association (BYHA) at 7:05pm on February 4, 2008 in the Flett Room of the Belmont Public Library.
II.      Roll call
The following persons were present: Jim Wooster, Curtis Cole, Janet Liddell, John Curran, Steve Nally, Doug McLaughlin, Kerry O’Donovan, Larry Christofori, Mark Shapiro, Lisa Pargoli, and Brian Quirk. Absent from the meeting were:
John Myers and Andy Papathanasiou.
III.      Approval of minutes from last meeting
The minutes from January 7, 2008 were approved.
IV.      Position Reports
Treasurer
Income for January 8, 2008 through February 4, 2008 totals $19,214, the majority from payments of the ’07-’08 tuition. Thanks to Larry C., the Bay State Charitable Foundation donated $1000 to our program. John C. will send an invoice for $400 to all full year Midget team players. Expenses were $37,702 which included Belmont Ice Rental, tournament fees (Waltham/Marlboro/Needham), Big Chill expenses, and tournament trophies.
Registrar
Current BYHA enrollment stands at 247 skaters. Although the program has lost several players to injury, overall enrollment is up 12 – 15 players over last year.
Coaches
District playdowns underway. Areas for improvement: broader credentialing of coaches (Level III certification required) and clearer communication of game schedules and player expectations in attending playoffs. Due to miscommunication, a team missed a playdown game - BYHA assessed a $500 penalty (triple damages).  Additionally, several high school/BYHA players failed to show up for a Bantam playdown game. 
Suggestions made to have coaches call team prior to playdown games and schedule coaches’ Level III certification class in the beginning of the season.
Doug M., Steve N., Jim Brown, D. Kelleher and Curtis C. to review skills of skaters during February (boys) and March (girls). This assessment and the coaches’ initial, and end of season skater evaluations will be used to enhance the tryout process.
Steve N. reports that D. Muzzioli will attend the coaches’ meeting scheduled in two weeks. He will review PeeWee and Bantam skills (i.e., cycling, center and forward play) valuable in preparation for high school hockey.
In response to Steve’s request, Jim W. says program prohibits buying alcohol for members at sanctioned events. 
GBHL
No GBL meeting in January. Playdown games will be held during
February vacation week, several in Belmont.
Girls Program
U10-1 will participate in the playdowns scheduled for February 12, 2008.   The U14 girls made it to the 2nd round.
Girls Varsity holding its Girls Youth night and Boys Youth night on February 13, 2008. At celebration, rink will be decorated with balloons; players present flowers to their mothers.
Ice/Skills
Make-up games need to be scheduled and played at earliest convenience. BYHA/teams penalized if games missed.
More ice right now as high school hockey season comes to a close. Discussed competing demands for Belmont ice; High School has ice Monday through Friday from 3pm – 7pm, Recreation Department holds several hours of public skating during prime ice time, BYHA has four additional teams this year.
Jim W. reports Arlington may be interested in starting an in-house league for developing teams (i.e., Mite C’s).
Tryouts: Spring tryouts at Fessenden April 6 – 10, 2008 for Girls, PeeWees, Bantams, and Midgets. Board to outline and draft tryouts and placement process for distribution to members.
Discussed closing of rink for the season. Will talk to John Madden regarding plan for event, i.e., BBQ, parent/kids game, BYHA participation. At the very least, supply an informational table and BYHA tryouts forms.
Tournaments/Clothing
Mite A, B & C, Squirt B & C, PeeWee A & B, Bantam A & B’s scheduled for February Waltham, Needham and Marlboro tournaments.
Equipment
Brian Q. looking into storage space rental in area. Currently, hockey equipment stored in Waltham at approximately $350 per month.
Jim W. reports a $1500 sound system donated to rink. Will talk to John Madden about hardware requirements and electrician to install.
Discussed current state of the Belmont rink. No informational areas other than snack bar/warming room for BYHA and Recreation Department programs and calendars. Several banners/plaques of sponsors that have not contributed to rink recently have been shrouded with black material. Need to address these and other issues plaguing the rink.
Public Relations
Mark S. will create an informational handout for distribution that directs people to the website. Will work with June at Recreation Department and Doug M. on this.
Discussed conducting an electronic members’ survey. Mark asked board to send him approximately three questions each to be included in survey.
V.      New business
 
1.            The Board renewed discussions concerning the long-term goals and continued success of the program. Jim Wooster will investigate possible ideas on this topic and present them to the Board for discussion.
 
2.            Town Day – Curtis C. suggests BYHA presence/booth at Town Day in mid-May.
VI.      Next Meeting: 
*Members’ meeting Wednesday, February 27, 2008 at 7:30pm in the Assembly Room at the Belmont Public Library.
*Regular meeting of the Board March 3, 2008 at 7:00pm in the Flett Room at the Belmont Public Library.
VII.      ,Adjournment
Jim Wooster adjourned the meeting at 8:58pm.
Minutes submitted by: Janet Liddell