BYHA promotes the development and enjoyment of youth hockey in the Town of Belmont, creating and maintaining a standard of goodwill, sportsmanship and fellowship among it's youth.
 
 
My my My my
 
 
 
 
 
 
Belmont Youth Hockey
Meeting Minutes
January 7, 2008
I.      Call to order
Jim Wooster called to order the regular meeting of the Belmont Youth Hockey Association (BYHA) at 7:07pm on January 7, 2008 in the Flett Room of the Belmont Public Library.
II.      Roll call
The following persons were present: Jim Wooster, Curtis Cole, Janet Liddell, John Curran, Steve Nally, Doug McLaughlin, Kerry O’Donovan, Mark Shapiro, John Myers, Lisa Pargoli, and Brian Quirk. Absent from the meeting were: Larry Christofori and Andy Papathanasiou.
III.      Approval of minutes from last meeting
The minutes from December 3, 2007 were approved with corrections.
IV.      Position Reports
Treasurer
Income for December 3, 2007 through January 7, 2008 totals $52,969, the majority from payments of the ’07-’08 tuition. The Mite Holiday Classic tournament contributed $3,150 toward income. Expenses were $26,567 which included costs to host the Mite Classic, practice jerseys, refunds to players leaving the program, Fessenden and Daley Ice, Greg Carter skills fee, deposit for the upcoming “Big Chill” fundraiser at Oakley, 2007 tax return accounting fee, online credit card payment fee and scorekeepers. John C. expects large bill for Belmont Ice usage soon. Doug M. will ensure all schedule changes are accurately reflected on bill. Discussed Waltham storage site costs; will investigate alternatives.
Registrar
Registration through Mass Hockey complete. Registration for the new extended season Midget team, led by Gerry DiGiovanni, to be sorted out through Mass Hockey. The team will play an 18 game season in the Valley League. No Belmont practice or game ice will be used by the team.
John M. will meet individually with Board members interested in greater website access and capability. Brian Q. will bring a computer with projection capabilities to next meeting for website overview.
Coaches
Most initial season skater evaluations by coaches received. Second set of evaluations to be collected at end of February. Steve N. suggests adding an objective assessment component, conducted by two or three coaches. Discussed the weight of the ratings and tryouts data, tryouts being the primary data source for team placement. Procedurally, Board to decide how to announce rating/evaluation system to membership and what information will be made available.
Warm up suit requests for coaches to be directed to Brian Q. for ordering.
Locker for miscellaneous hockey supplies in place at rink, located behind Home Team bench.
Discussed tryout fees and need to collect fees from skaters before they go on the ice for tryouts. Money lost in tryout process last year when eight skaters decided to play for Arlington after trying out for BYHA.
Steve N. proposed BYHA pick up the tab for appetizers and refreshments at the next coaches’ meeting.  Jim said he would get back to Steve about that.
Doug M. reports Rick Freeman selected as Assistant Junior Varsity Coach for Belmont High School. Will post on BYHA website.  
GBHL
Discussed several members’ comments regarding fewer games played by teams this year. Jim W. reports a discussion regarding league(s) affiliation comes up every year. As part of the Greater Boston League, teams play 24 games per season. With tournaments and district playdowns, some teams play 30 – 35 games. Last year BYHA played in a series of Middlesex inter-league games, no longer offered. Whether to stay with GBL, try other leagues, or enroll teams in second league to play more games are potential alternatives, but it is difficult to know membership expectations. Curtis C. proposes entering one or two teams into another league next year to try it out and evaluate benefits and drawbacks.
Doug M. and Steve N. attended recent District 9 meeting. Report meeting well attended by district coaches and strong advocacy for team positioning in the playdowns.
Girls Program
U10-1 and U14 swept the Natick Christmas Tournament in a very exciting competition.
Kerry O. requests that spring tryout for girls’ league is on same schedule as boys’ league. Additionally, wants to ensure girls have adequate practice ice prior to season playoffs. Will forward playoff schedule to Doug M.
Ice/Skills
Belmont to host District playdowns January 22 – 23 and February 6, 19 – 20, 2008 from 8:00 to 10:00pm. Need to provide supervisory personnel and timekeepers. No guarantee Belmont is playing.
Game cancellations due to snow/driving conditions causing issues with ice. Coaches need to schedule makeup games into slots open now (i.e., two, potentially four hours of ice available Saturday March 1, 2008). Doug M. reports Rec. Dept. responding to BYHA needs for ice, informing him when ice opens up. Still looking into open ice (early morning) at Belmont Hill, Lawrence Academy. Will email GBL regarding makeup games.
Tournaments/Clothing
Lisa P. emailed coaches regarding upcoming tournaments. Teams expressing interest in the Waltham, Needham and Marlboro tournaments, all slated for February.
Clothing orders are all set, items ordered have been delivered.
Equipment
Brian Q. reports inventory in good shape. Preparing for next year, would like to order team practice jerseys over spring/summer since they have long lead time.
Would like to buy small goalie equipment.
Steve N. suggested BYHA conduct a hockey equipment/clothes drive at the end of the year. Proposal met with a lot of enthusiasm.
Small time clock in rink broken. Brian will inform recreation department.
V.      New business
a)      Jim W. requested a vote to amend the BYHA Guidelines regarding Board of Directors to allow our head coaches, Curtis Cole and Doug McLaughlin, to also hold active board positions during the 2007-2008 season. The amendment was unanimously ACCEPTED.
b)      Jim mentioned we need to hold another Member Meeting in February. Jim will schedule one for the second week in February.
VI.      Next Meeting: 
*Regular meeting of the Board February 4, 2008 at 7:00pm in the Flett Room at the Belmont Public Library.
VII.      Adjournment
Jim Wooster adjourned the meeting at 8:50pm.
Minutes submitted by: Janet Liddell