BYHA promotes the development and enjoyment of youth hockey in the Town of Belmont, creating and maintaining a standard of goodwill, sportsmanship and fellowship among it's youth.
 
 
My my My my
 
 
 
 
 
 
Belmont Youth Hockey
Meeting Minutes
December 3, 2007
I.      Call to order
Jim Wooster called to order the regular meeting of the Belmont Youth Hockey Association (BYHA) at 7:08pm on December 3, 2007 in the Flett Room of the Belmont Public Library.
II.      Roll call
The following persons were present: Jim Wooster, Curtis Cole, Janet Liddell, John Curran, Steve Nally, Doug McLaughlin, Kerry O’Donovan, Mark Shapiro and Larry Christofori. Absent from the meeting were: John Myers, Lisa Pargoli, Brian Quirk and Andy Papathanasiou
III.      Approval of minutes from last meeting
The minutes from November 5, 2007 were approved with corrections.
IV.      Position Reports
Treasurer
John C. reports income for November 4 through December 3, 2007 totals $10,912, almost exclusively for payments for the ’07-’08 tuition. Expenses were $17,256 which included tournament fees, playdown expenses, payment due the Middlesex League, Greg Carter skills fees and Fessenden ice. Receivables expected from membership dues by 12/31/07 are $89,965. Discussed efficiency of the electronic/automatic payment system and the benefits of having the payment transactions sent directly to the treasurer.
Discussed pro-rated fees obligations for skaters that join and skaters that leave the program 1/3 of the way through the season.
Coaches
Steve N. reports the coaches’ class on cardio-pulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and defibrillation was excellent and well attended. Recommends requiring class if coaches don’t have current CPR certification. Would like to set up a locker at the rink for miscellaneous hockey supplies and CPR equipment.
Receiving some initial season skater evaluations from several coaches.
GBHL
GBL meeting next week. Larry C. organizing game time keepers. Many volunteers. GBL billed at the end of the year for timekeeper fees.
Girls Program
The U12 team is having some success on the ice. The U10-II team won their 1st game over the weekend. Coach doing an excellent job with U14 team. U10-1 and U14 scheduled for the Natick Christmas Tournament.
In lieu of banquet, the U19 and Midgets coaches will select an appropriate end of the year commemoration (i.e., team party, clothing).
Ice/Skills
Doug M. reports BYHA woefully short of ice time through mid-February by almost a couple of sheets of ice per week. Difficult to get more ice from the Recreation Department. Inquiries into ice time at rinks in Newton, Harvard, Boston University. Jim W. will send out email about ice in public relations effort.
Skills going well, well attended with four instructors on ice.
On Friday evenings, the Girls League rotates through the 7pm – 8pm ice time at the Belmont rink with public skating generally following their game. If the high school program could end ½ hour earlier on Friday afternoons, BYHA would be able to schedule two Girls League games on Friday evenings.
Tournaments/Clothing
Mites A & B teams participating in three tournaments. Mite C’s scheduled for the Waltham tournament in February, 2008. Need to either find another tournament for Mite C’s or refund Mite C membership $50 each. May not be in best interest of skaters to push Mite C’s into another tournament at this developmental level.
Still looking into tournaments for the U12 and U14 teams.
Equipment
Purchased second-hand goalie equipment for Squirt skater level.
Feeder Program Committee
Watertown-Belmont feeder program publicized on our website. Will make call to get article in Belmont Citizen-Herald.
Social/Fundraising Committee
Discussed plans for a social function with fundraising goal. Next meeting for this committee scheduled for December 10, 2007 at the library.
Calendar sales lucrative in past. Curtis C. will lead calendar event and send email to solicit sponsors.
V.      New business
a)      Steve N. reports USA Hockey funds a $150,000 grant and suggests we request goalie equipment for the program. John C. will write letter requesting funding.
b)      Discussed BYHA participation in building a new rink. Discussed potential sites, volunteers, donors, and interest.
c)      Try-out process tabled until January meeting.
VI.      Next Meeting: 
*Regular meeting of the Board January 7, 2008 at 7:00pm in the Flett Room at the Belmont Public Library.
VII.      Adjournment
Jim Wooster adjourned the meeting at 9:32pm.
Minutes submitted by: Janet Liddell