BYHA promotes the development and enjoyment of youth hockey in the Town of Belmont, creating and maintaining a standard of goodwill, sportsmanship and fellowship among it's youth.
 
 
My my My my
 
 
 
 
 
 
Belmont Youth Hockey
Meeting Minutes
November 5, 2007
I.      Call to order
Jim Wooster called to order the regular meeting of the Belmont Youth Hockey Association (BYHA) at 7:06pm on November 5, 2007 in the Flett Room of the Belmont Public Library.
II.      Roll call
The following persons were present: Jim Wooster, Curtis Cole, Janet Liddell, John Curran, Steve Nally, Doug McLaughlin, Kerry O’Donovan, Mark Shapiro, Brian Quirk and Andy Papathanasiou. Absent from the meeting were: John Myers, Lisa Pargoli and Larry Christofori.
III.      Approval of minutes from last meeting
The minutes from October 1 and October 4, 2007 were approved.
IV.      Position Reports
Treasurer
John C. reports income for October 1 through November 4, 2007 totals $50,401 which consists almost exclusively of payments for the ’07-’08 tuition. Expenses were $30,737 which included tournament deposits, team equipment and supplies, Fessenden ice and a $22,580 GBYHL payment.
Receivables expected from membership dues by 12/31/07 are $101,989.
Coaches
Player evaluation system focusing on game play discussed. Head coaches input invaluable in tryout process. Evaluations by head coaches conducted at beginning, middle and end of season beneficial as part of tryout process. Will check Mass Hockey guidelines regarding evaluations. Issue tabled for further discussion.
Steve N. reported approximately 12 coaches attended the coaches’ meeting on October 30, 2007.  Shared information regarding variations in line configurations when player numbers are low, and skills necessary at each age level. Discussions included coaches conduct and need to “take the high road” in working through difficult issues. Next coaches meeting scheduled for November 20, 2007.
Curtis C. and Andy P. will work to update and distribute emergency contact forms to coaches.
GBHL
Mite and Squirt realignment will take place end of December, effective January 1, 2008.
GBL needs rosters of teams.
Kelleher Cup tournament for Mites A & B will be held over the Christmas holiday and Jr. Bruins offers free clinic to Mite B & C players over same holiday.
Practice jerseys are in. Need team sponsors for printing over next two weeks.
Girls Program
A few more girls joined the U12 team and several U14 girls came back to the girls program because of the good level of play and talent.  Kerry O. reports the open registration process is working very well. Time keepers needed. Board will try and recruit 12 – 13 year old time keepers at $15 per game to work at Mite games. 
Ice/Skills
Talk of Bantam goalies instructing Mite goalies on basics, high school goalies instructing BYHA goalies.
Scheduling and publishing practice times discussed. At minimum, practice schedule published two weeks in advance with goal to publish practice schedule one month in advance. Too many changes and too much confusion if schedule published any further in advance.     
Tournaments/Clothing
Arlington Christmas Tournament filled by 1st week of October for Squirt A, PWA and Bantam B. Will look in to other Christmas tournaments.
Equipment
Discussed purchasing second-hand goalie equipment. Socks will be reordered for players requiring smaller sizes.
Feeder Program Committee
Watertown-Belmont feeder program now official. Will publicize program on our website. Program starts in two weeks, fliers will be posted at rink.
Social/Fundraising Committee
First annual Icebreaker event held at the Belmont rink on November 4th a success, fun for all with a great turnout. Next meeting of committee on November 19, 2007. Will try to recruit non-board members to help with bigger function with fundraising goal.
Future Directions Committee
Will network with other town hockey programs to find best practices for program issues, i.e., player retention, incorporating select players within the program. Next committee meeting scheduled for November 26, 2007.  
V.      New business
a)      John C. recommended team coordinators find someone to write articles regarding game play for local newspaper.
b)      Discussed sharing email lists between lacrosse and hockey programs in a reciprocal process for recruitment efforts. Will explore options and ramifications.  
c)      Newly formed Disciplinary Committee met on October 16, 2007 regarding alleged report of misconduct by a coach. Committee satisfied that coach was acting in best interest and protection of his team.
VI.      Next Meeting: 
*Regular meeting of the Board December 3, 2007 at 7:00pm in the Flett Room at the Belmont Public Library.
VII.      Adjournment
Jim Wooster adjourned the meeting at 9:00pm.
Minutes submitted by: Janet Liddell