BYHA promotes the development and enjoyment of youth hockey in the Town of Belmont, creating and maintaining a standard of goodwill, sportsmanship and fellowship among it's youth.
 
 
My my My my
 
 
 
 
 
 
Belmont Youth Hockey
Meeting Minutes
September 12, 2007
I.      Call to order
Jim Wooster called to order the regular meeting of the Belmont Youth Hockey Association (BYHA) at 7:10pm on September 12, 2007 in the Flett Room of the Belmont Public Library.
II.      Roll call
The following persons were present: Jim Wooster, Curtis Cole, Janet Liddell, John Curran, Steve Nally, Doug McLaughlin, Kerry O’Donovan, John Myers, Larry Christofori, Lisa Pargoli, and Brian Quirk. Absent from the meeting were: Mark Shapiro and Andy Papathanasiou.
III.      Approval of minutes from last meeting
The minutes from July 9, 2007 and August 20, 2007 were approved.
IV.      Position Reports
 
Treasurer
Discussion regarding how to credit $100 tryout fee. Jim will clarify what $35 USA Hockey fee covers re: insurance and waiver.
Registrar/Website
Registration ongoing - 231 boys and girls currently registered in BYHA compared to 234 last year at this time. Still anticipating a few more player registrations. 190 of 231 members still have not registered with Mass. Hockey. Players can’t go on roster until registered.
Great turnout for Mites tryouts thanks to recruiting efforts by Doug M. and Steve N.
Emergency Contact and health/allergies information printout to be distributed to all teams/coaches.
Coaches
Coaches’ meeting scheduled for tomorrow evening, Elks Club, Lexington. Patching classes for Level 2 this weekend. At next scheduled coaches’ meeting, Mr. Kelleher will review rule changes for 2007-2008 season (i.e., coaches on ice must wear helmets; squirts and above required to wear mouth guards). In addition, he will review appropriate skills per age groups.
Squirt Coaching – Dan Pullman volunteered to coach Squirt A. Still trying to recruit coach for Squirt C.    
GBL
Defunct PeeWee C team has created a scheduling issue. GBL able to re-    appropriate October ice time, but BYHA is responsible for September and             November ice time. Discussed PeeWee B team playing extra games.  To distribute ice rescheduling policy to coaches at coaches’ meeting.  Coaches may not cancel games; need to work out rescheduling amongst coaches to ensure appropriate use of allotted ice time.
Girls Program
Still a handful of girls to register. Waiver available on website to allow girls to try program out at upcoming practices. Registration required by mid-November for inclusion on the playdown roster.
Tryouts – discussion regarding number of tryouts, need for impartial evaluators (i.e., Greg Carter), administration of tryouts, coaches’ post- season evaluations to assist in team selection process. Jim will help Kerry O., Steve N. and Doug M. with implementation of tryouts.  
Ice/Skills
Working with coaches for input regarding ice times and informing coaches of ice cancellation policy. Curtis will email last year’s ice cancellation policy to Doug. Encouraging coaches to be on ice during skills training.  Fessenden ice scheduled. Doug M. will schedule Team Training.    
Tournaments/Clothing
       Will propose that TriCon administer members clothing sale at rink.
Garden City Tournament at Fessenden is scheduled for October 8 – 22, 2007. All teams competing except C division (no C bracket).Lisa P. and Curtis C. to work on scheduling of teams for tournament.             
Equipment
Brian Q. is inventorying equipment and organizing team game jerseys. Will place  needed equipment/supply orders and deliver to teams/coaches.
Will ensure printing of sponsors’ names on practice jerseys. Recruitment of potential team sponsors to be explored by members of the board.
Feeder Program Committee
Curtis C.reports proposal for feeder program submitted to the Belmont Recreation Department. Will wait to hear back from Rec. Dept. before we explore other options (i.e., joint venture with Watertown).
V.      New business
a)      Fundraising – Looking for team sponsors. Larry and John C. will work on getting this going. Will also explore website advertising.                                                     
b)      Proposal to enable girls to play two BYHA teams at reduced fee. Proposal elicited heated discussion and opposing views by board members. Discussion tabled by Jim W. at 9:35pm as meeting room/library was closing. Special meeting of the board to be scheduled by Jim W. for following week to discuss proposal further. See meeting minutes dated 9/18/07.
VI.      Next Meeting: Monday, October 1, 2007 at 7:00pm at the Belmont Public Library.
VII.      Adjournment
Jim Wooster adjourned the meeting at 9:35pm.
Minutes submitted by: Janet Liddell