BYHA promotes the development and enjoyment of youth hockey in the Town of Belmont, creating and maintaining a standard of goodwill, sportsmanship and fellowship among it's youth.
 
 
My my My my
 
 
 
 
 
 
Belmont Youth Hockey Association
Meeting Minutes
August 20, 2007
I.      Call to order
Jim Wooster called to order the meeting of the Belmont Youth Hockey Association (BYHA) Board at 7:00 pm on August 20, 2007 at the Belmont Public Library.
II.      Roll call
The following persons were present: Jim Wooster, Curtis Cole, Janet Liddell, John Curran, Steve Nally, Doug McLaughlin, Kerry O’Donovan and Andy Papathanasiou. Absent from the meeting were: John Myers, Larry Christofori, Lisa Pargoli, Brian Quirk, and Mark Shapiro.
III.      Position Reports
 
Treasurer’s Report
John reports QuickBooks is installed. Jim and John will work on preparing information for our Tax Return for last year. Member dues for next season to be determined. Discussion regarding Directors and Officers (D&O) insurance and if the Hockey Board is indemnified against class action suits under USA Hockey coverage. Jim will look into this and report back to Doug.
 
Coaches
Steve reported he is organizing the 1st monthly coaches’ meeting for the next 2 – 3 weeks. First aid and CPR instruction along with orientation to the rink’s defibrillator will be included. At a meeting with the head and assistant coaches, Brendan Kelleher will review hockey rule changes from the referee perspective. Steve reported there is still a coaching vacancy for the Squirt A team.
 
Girls Coordinator
Kerry reported that the U19 coach’s position is vacant. She will be meeting with the league representatives this Thursday night (8/24). She discussed the need for skills assessment and ranking at the girls’ tryouts, specifically at the U10 level (largest group) in the event U10 girls are “called up” to play at the U12 level during the season. Kerry requested that all skaters be allotted ice time at the start of the season, even if it’s only one day a week. She suggested allowing (by waiver) girls interested in playing hockey the ability to try it out at the practices held early in the season. Girls games begin late October.   Kerry suggested that emergency contact information should be given to the coaches as soon as possible at the start of the season.
   
Ice/Skills
Doug is reviewing skills and ice contracts and working on how best to schedule ice for different age groups. Will work with skills training staff from TEAM Training, Wright Hockey, and Greg Carter to outline specific skills instruction needed at various skating levels. 
 
Tournament/Clothing
Discussion about the timing of tournaments and Board’s role in advocating specific tournaments for hockey program. District representatives are in attendance at the Fessenden’s Garden City tournament (early season) and the Arlington tournament (scheduled over Christmas break) to assess team skill level for positioning in the state playdown tournament.
Andy reported that Midget jerseys have been ordered. Tricon to print numbers on front of pinnies for tryouts.
 
Public Relations
Mark is working on banner designs. Board will send two representatives to “Meet Belmont Night” this Thursday (8/24) with handouts and a hockey player in jersey to promote the program. John C. will organize logistics to attend this event.
 
Feeder Program Committee
Committee developing Belmont Feeder Program proposal for board approval and submission to Belmont Recreation Department at their meeting in mid-September. Committee proposes two 1-hour sessions of ice time for skill development per week and two 9-week sessions offered per year. Three options for administration of the program: 1) Joint venture with recreation department, 2) Solely run by Belmont Youth Hockey, 3) Joint venture between Watertown and Belmont. VOTED: New Instructional Hockey Program in Belmont – approved.
 
IV.      New Business
Fall tryouts for Mites and Squirts to take place 1st week of September, 2007.
PeeWee Numbers: Large number of hockey players for two teams at Pee Wee level. Discussions regarding recruiting Arlington players to field three teams. It is not clear yet if Arlington will be fielding one or two Pee Wee C teams. Arlington players are waiting to see before they commit one way or another. If Arlington does field an extra Pee Wee team, we will go with two teams of 16 players.
V.      Next Meeting: September 12, 2007 at 7:00pm in the Flett Room at the Belmont Public Library
VI.      Adjournment
Jim adjourned the meeting at 9:15 pm.
Minutes submitted by: Janet Liddell, Secretary
Minutes approved by:  Jim Wooster